The Cape Breton Regional Hospital Foundation is a registered charity, responsible for raising funds to strengthen the health of Cape Bretoners.
We rely on ongoing donor and community support to fund priority healthcare needs. With every gift you make, you help deliver excellence in healthcare.
Some our donors’ most remarkable achievements include:
- the expansion of the Cape Breton Cancer Centre, which now treats 150-200 patients every day
- the purchase of a new linear accelerator for the Cape Breton Cancer Centre
- the purchase of state-of-the-art monitoring system for the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit that cares for 300 pre-mature and ill babies every year
- the creation of a brand new operating suite, which allows surgeons to perform less invasive surgeries, reducing recovery times and hospital stays
- renovations to the Pediatrics Unit to create a more child-friendly atmosphere for 1,800 children each year
- the completion of a $1,350,000 campaign for Mental Health and Addiction Services, which will impact tens of thousands of Cape Bretoners
These are all examples of excellence. None of this would have been possible without donor support.
The Foundation has a long history Cape Bretoners taking care of Cape Bretoners.
In 1992, a group of community leaders, led by Jack Yazer, developed a vision for the creation of a health care complex designed to deliver leading edge medical services in Cape Breton allowing more Cape Bretoners to receive care closer to home.
Formed primarily as a lobby group to get a Regional facility built, the Foundation served as a visible entity with which the provincial government could negotiate the details of the new hospital.
When construction began in 1990, the Foundation began fundraising. In 1991 we launched a $6 million fundraising campaign. $3 million of that total was committed to hospital construction. $3 million was committed to constructing and equipping a cancer treatment centre that would offer treatment to those who were receiving treatment in Halifax.
In 1995, the vision was realized when the Cape Breton Regional Hospital opened its doors and in 1998 the Cancer Clinic treated its first patients.
With your help, since 1991, we have raised more than $50 million to support enhanced healthcare at the Regional Hospital.